Monday, November 27, 2006

Day number 86!

Day number 86!!!

I am sober today! And back from California! I had a great time! I saw my step-sister and her beautiful kids, all 5 of them! I saw my Step-mom, my dad, my sister, my brother, my step-aunt, step-cousin, and step-grand mother!

Lots of people, mostly saw them all on Thanksgiving and on Friday! I don't believe I have ever gone out there and stayed sober before! I use to drink all of their wine, and/or bought myself a fifth of whiskey to tide me over for my stay. Not this time! I woke up early, and with a clear head, I enjoyed my family, which is a first, and I played with the kids, which surprised even myself!

I found myself looking forward to playing with those kids then I did anything else! My neices and nephew are 16, 13, 7,7, and 6 years old. So, as you can imagine, a lot of fun! The two older ones are all grown up, which is cool, seeing them grow, the younger ones were just hilarious and too much fun. I have tons of pictures and video, so all is good. I think I pretty much documented the entire day with them!

I am so thankful I was able to enjoy my family this past weekend, sober. If I was not sober, I would have been one unhappy camper. Thank you so much!

I am even grateful to experience jet lag on the trip home, and not drink over it. As I sufferred through the headache last night and shear blahness from the 12 hour travel day, I realized that that too shall pass! And it did, well, almost. I still feel kinda blah, but naturally, that too shall pass!

I can't believe how much I enjoyed my family, I really am soooo blessed to have all of them in my life, even though they live 3,000 miles away!

4 comments:

  1. I am glad that you had a good and sober Thanksgiving. Wow, 5 kids, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent. it still surprises me what i end up enjoying doing in recovery. it hasn't turned out to be be the things i thought it would be. the simple love of nearest and dearest, and children is very fresh and joyful. but hey, ideally. i'd be happy in every situation. it would be wrong to judge certain situations as 'shallow', even if they are. i find all the 'glitzy' things become less satisfying over time though. not that i have anything against them, because i don't. its just i can see how 'empty' they are. meaning, not the true source of happiness. another thing that surprises me is how much joy i get from sponsoring aa's and kindnesses toward complete strangers. now that really is weird. well it is for me anyway.
    glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great. Glad you enjoyed all those "steps".

    ReplyDelete
  4. and I know from experience how deighted they must have been to have you there---and sober! But I welcome any chance to see my kids, sober or not.

    you are blessed and so are they.

    enjoy your today Jonathan

    ReplyDelete