Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Day number 81!

I have been pretty darn good lately.

Today, my older brother and I will get on a plane headed towards California! I love traveling! It is a great time to catch up on all the reading I have been missing out on! I should probably bring atleast two books and two magazines, otherwise I will end up buying a book at the airport! Agh! And we don't want to do that, inflated prices and all...

Being with my Dad's side of the family is usually pretty safe as far as drinking goes, not too much insanity in that side of the family. Regardless of that, I would like to try to hit atleast one Cali meeting.

One thing I am wondering about... I told my dad last year that I was going to AA meetings, I don't think I ever told him I am an alcoholic, or even mentioned that I had a problem. My dad probably has no clue, and neither does my step mom as to me ever having a problem. I was always successful enough in business that they really probably didn't percieve anything to be wrong. When around them, I just didn't drink usually...
That being said. Should I tell them? If so, how? I don't want them to worry about me, or think they have to act any different around me. Anywhooo, I will be sure to ask my sponsor and other AA friends about this.

Peace!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jonathan. Yep i've heard this query many, many times. This is what I refer to in my judgment of the situation...
    We are given VERY specific instructions as to how to behave when attending social or business functions. Think its page 101. Not sure.
    Why not try doing what it says there?

    The big book instruction is ' If it is a happy occasion, try to increase the pleasure of those there'

    Ask yourself, would 'admitting that you are a chronic alcoholic who is very much in the early stages of recovery' over what is essentially a holiday period and a family gathering be 'increasing the pleasure of those there?'

    I would be inclined to say no.
    The big book instruction is ' If it is a happy occasion, try to increase the pleasure of those there'
    Doesn't say 'except when we go home for thanksgiving' or 'except when we are 80 days sober' does it?

    Personally I do not think that discussing your killer (and as yet not fully recovered) disease, in its very early stages of remission, would increase anyone's pleasure. Therefore I wouldn't do it.
    I think it is fairly safe to assume that discussion of ANY killer illness would not increase pleasure in a social situation generally.
    Unless of course you had spent the last 5 years on life support, and discussion of an improvement of a killer illness might very well lift the mood of those present! But I do not think this would apply in your case.

    More bb stuff about social occasions..
    1. be sure you are on solid spiritual ground before you start
    2. and that your motive in going is thoroughly good.
    3. Do not think of what you will get out of the occasion.
    4. Think of what you can bring to it.
    5. But if you are shaky, you had better work with another alcoholic instead!

    If it is a happy occasion, try to increase the pleasure of those there;
    if a business occasion, go and attend to your business enthusiastically.

    While you were drinking, you were withdrawing from life little by little.
    Now you are getting back into the social life of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops! 81 days!! (they all count you know)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are the best! Thank you so much for that post! This is very similar to what my sponsor said!

    THank you! Today I am grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy thanksgiving!

    thanks for reading my blog and for being a part of my sobriety!

    xoxo
    hippychick

    ReplyDelete