Monday, December 8, 2008

Sober one more day... ;)

Sober one more day.

That is fabulous!

Last night I got bogged down in studying for the O-Chem Final today. (I just got done taking it) So I get all bogged down and tired studying, and decided to meet a friend for coffee out in Brandon. Yes, Brandon, that's like 15 minutes east of Tampa. You know, just sitting with someone and hearing what they are going through, really puts it into perspective for me. I had absolutely no idea that his person had some of these "issues" going on with them. They are not an alcoholic, and I would consider them to be super normal... very at ease and seemingly comfortable in their own skin.

Last night, somehow we started talking about family, which is something we hadn't really ever talked about before. I have known her for a while, so I really wasn't expecting any huge Revelations when she asked me if I wanted to hang out. I was thinking.. "oh cool, a quick break from studying to break the monotony!" Awesome right?

Yes, it was awesome. As we were talking, I realized just how good I have it.

Side note: I usually don't raise my hand in meetings to complain about stuff going on in my life, because I feel like there really isn't anything worth complaining about. Ok, so if a family member dies, my cat dies, or my job is lost... I get it, I will share about it maybe...... but none of that day-to-day crap like "I hate my job, or I hate my coworker..." I feel like if I can't share about the solution then just stay quite and listen. I know some people feel the need to share about everything and anything... more power to ya; it does not work for me.

So yea, she totally opened up to me about her family. Estranged father, mother committed suicide, older sister is a drug abuser, in and out of jail, and money is in short supply. She mentioned how much she was saving and how the car payment was gonna eat into her savings. I mentioned that I thought she was going back to school, and asked how it was going. She said she had to work this year and save, so she could go next year.

I am pretty sure there are some other tragic things I am forgetting, but seriously, her mom killed herself, her dad left, her sisters are self destructing, and here she is... she's surprisingly happy. Just happy. I was so taken back by how freaking happy she was and calm about everything. It was like she was totally cool with how things were turning out in her life. I just kinda thought about how cool that was. Not only is her immediate family situation the way it is, her extend family is equally MESSED up! So she has almost no family that is worth being around. Its hard not to feel sorry for her. Naturally, she is the type that wouldn't have any of that self-defeating behavior. But looking at her I saw the awesome things in my life I take for granted. I think I do sometimes take for granted all of the things that had to occur in my life to get me where I am today. I mean... going allll the way back to 1981. My grandparents, uncles, cousins, mom, and dad, all played a huge role in raising us kids. Family is huge, and I am glad I got a good one.

I was just so thankful for my own family. Looking at my mom and dad, sister and brother, cousins, uncles and grandparents.. just looking at them all - Man I am freaking lucky! My family is awesome. I have good, kind hearted people surrounding me. I just wanna say that I am grateful for them, and today really have nothing to complain about.... not a damn thing. ;)


Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment