Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thank You Samuel Adams!

Samuel Adams' Thanksgiving
Another article from the WSJ:

In 1778, a Thanksgiving resolution drafted by [Samuel] Adams was approved by Congress on Nov. 3, setting aside Wednesday, Dec. 30, as a day of public thanksgiving and praise, "It having pleased Almighty God through the Course of the present year, to bestow great and manifold Mercies on the People of these United States."

After the Revolution, Adams, who was eventually elected governor of Massachusetts, maintained the practice of declaring these holidays. In October of 1795, the 73-year-old governor proclaimed Thursday, Nov. 19, as "a day of Public Thanksgiving to God," recommending that prayer be offered that God "would graciously be pleased to put an end to all Tyranny and Usurpation, that the People who are under the Yoke of Oppression, may be made free; and that the Nations who are contending for freedom may still be secured by His Almighty Aid."

A year later, Gov. Adams offered a similar Thanksgiving proclamation, declaring Thursday, Dec. 15, 1796, as "a Day of Public Thanksgiving and Praise to Our Divine Benefactor." He recommended "earnest Supplication to God" that "every Nation and Society of Men may be inspired with the knowledge and feeling of their natural and just rights" and "That Tyranny and Usurpation may everywhere come to an end."

Amen.


I am not sure how many people will actually read that whole thing, but I think it is a nice little article. I read it on the airplane yesterday and thought... "hmmm, I should post that one too!".

I love to read, I love to learn, I love this Country, and I love reading about our history! Are we not the most fortunate people on the planet?? I hope you think so, if you are a citizen of any Western Country... especially the US of A!

On another note, being out in the Mountains in California, I have been doing some thinking! Great, right? I was thinking that it would be really neat to move out west for school. I know, it's crazy right? Why not? Why do we live in Tampa anyways?? Nice weather... I like the people I have met, but why am I still there when there are other places I have always wanted to live in, yet haven't done so yet because I am such a co-dependant ass? I am thinking... yes thinking... Perhaps it is time to cut the bonds and head out into the great wild west... perhaps not. I just love it out here, the mountains specifically... I have always wanted to live near them or in them...

I was just thinking out loud there...

Any how, maybe I am just freaked out by finals coming up... feeling stressed and alone. Self pity was creeping in there, to be honest, yesterday and today. I don't know what it is... I think I feel like a failure and rejected on a couple of different levels. I am attracted to someone I don't think is remotely interested in me, failure to perform to my standards in school... B vs A, and guilty for asking the old Mum for money.

Good thing I have AA and my higher power to get me through it all. You know, I just wanna do the next right thing. I think maybe my expectations are way to high and I am trying to control everything too much... maybe I should stop thinking and go to a meeting! That usually helps... :)

Speak of the Devil, my Step-Aunt has 3 months sober and just asked me to join her to go to a meeting! Fun!

Today I am grateful and thankful!

Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment