Saturday, September 12, 2015

On Moms and stuff

Get to go visit my mom today, super excited.

She essentially is someone who is reliving what she perceives as a lack of fun growing up by drinking too much, spending too much money, gambling, and relationships.  She perceives all this as being fun, I enjoy it somewhat because I go see her once a month and she tells me all the drama, all the drama, all the BS that she is worried about.

Its usually really idiotic things that she gets worried about.  For instance, she has successfully bought and sold 5 houses in the last 10 years, selling each for less than she bought it!

Did you say LESS?

Yes I did.  You see, she moves not for profit, but because she is uncomfortable in her surroundings.

But why didn't you stop her!?  You ask...

Of course I tried years ago to talk sense into my own mother, but this has been a pervasive patter for the last 20 years.  I suspect now that I'm in the medical field that she has a severe personality disorder.

But she is my mom!  And I do love her.  I love her from a distance.  We have a relationship that is more hands off than on.  More phone calls that house calls... more of never ever being able to ask her for anything, and I mean anything.

I have a baby, a baby!  And my wife's family lives 3,000 miles away.  Do you know who the only family member within 45 min drive is?  That's right, my mom.  You'd think she would be excited to be a grandma and hold babies and stuff, but she isn't and I don't ask her to.  You see, I watched from a distance when my brother had kids and tried to get mom to do normal grandma stuff, like invite her to parties, to birthdays, to babysit etc.

 My mom is probably the most interesting mom you've never met.  I think she should write  book.  Wait, maybe I should write a book, cause I'm fairly certain she doesn't see her craziness.

Anyhow, I look forward to seeing her briefly today for lunch and here's to all those out there who have a mom they gotta keep at a distance lest they get pulled into a dependent/histrionic/narcissistic personality nightmare!

Today I am grateful for my mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment