Thursday, December 7, 2006

Day 96 and a half

Ok, so I deleted my post on accident. I really wanted to share about it though! So I decided to do it again! Joy!

Ok, so on Tuesday, I was totally looking forward to an evening of Tang So Do and my scheduled plans for the evening, when my boss informed me of a business dinner I should attend. I actually thought for a second about how I hate doing anything that is not "my plan", and actually toook a few seconds before telling my boss that, yes, I would attend. Usually, in times past, I declined and turned down many "business networking" opportunities.

Anyhow, the point is, I actually saw the light. I am slowly coming to the realization, that if my plan for one night does not work out as I planned, that it is no big deal, and that I should actually enjoy these opportunities I am receiving. Generally I do my thing, my way, after work. Whether it be AA, Martial Arts, Working Out, Reading, or watching TV, I usually do what I want in the evenings, and it use to be very very hard to do anything for or with anyone I didn't want to or previously plan to... unless I was drinking of course! Take the drink away, and I really am a stubborn guy.

I noticed on Tuesday, these feelings, and just let it go. I ended up going to this dinner, where everyone was drinking, except me. Not a problem. And funny thing, noone said anything about me not drinking. I must have been the only person to notice! The firm who took us out to dinner, took us to the "Columbia" restaurant in Ybor City. Very posh, very nice. They spent $2,000 on us, 4 people from my company, and 3 from theirs. Basically, they were trying to wine and dine us to get our business. Very fun guys and a good time. I was a bit tired though, didn't get home till 10:00pm, and then had to get up early the next day.

A coworker of mine, called in sick the next day. She later confided in me that she stayed out with the other folks from that evening until 4:00am and could not come in because she was so hung over. I was smiling on the inside, as I know exactly what she is talking about!

Wednesday, I had another meeting late in the evening down in Bradenton, which I had to attend. This one was far less exciting, and amounted to a bunch of citizens complaining about road way improvements, of which they had no control, to staff members at the County. Fun stuff. I got home around 9:00pm last night, and was just pooped. 2 late nights at the office, 2 nights which were not my plan, 2 nights on someone elses plan wore me out, and I basically really was out of it when trying to figure out what to do with myself last night. I did nothing, and went to bed.

Today I feel good. Just happy I enjoyed those previous evenings to the best of my ability when the old me was screaming "Do my plan!! Not theirs!!"

Slowly I am learning to enjoy other people, and get out of myself.

All do to my HP of course.

9 comments:

  1. Wow! You've got a lot of insight going on there, Jonathan! I realize more and more that I used to use alcohol to give me that little "boost" I needed to have the energy to socialize. It's a lot harder to find that energy without it, but definitely worth it. And not having hangovers to deal with, is DEFINITELY a great side benefit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan,

    I'm so happy that you're getting a bunch of days built up!

    I also think we may be brothers, by reading about your reactions to other people's plans! Ha!

    I get so stubborn sometimes that even in an AA business meeting, I'll be the lone "no" vote, just because I was unaware of the issue ahead of time!

    Progress, not perfection, right?

    Take care,
    Brad :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that all sounds very healthy. its not really what we do, its WHY we do it that counts. your motive was not self seeking, and thats what (I think) made it do-able. i think motive is everything. wanting things our own way all the time is a form of chronic self centredness. a very unhealthy mindset. i make very little attempt to 'fit myself in' to everyone elses plan, but my general view of things is that I am very easy going and make very few demands, so in doing so i am not really fuelling any self centred tendencies. but i freqently do stuff i don't want to do (as in the just for today card) so i suppose that is sort of the same thing as what you describe. either way, your attitude sounds less selfish and more flexible, which can only be a good thing! good work! see? it DOES get better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT stuff!!!
    Keep it up. A good mixture of "your plan" and "other's plans" might just work. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is great when you are the one without the hangover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. all that fun and you got to stay sober too---your HP sure has you in His Hands

    have a restful weekend-- or being busy being of service--

    will think of and pray for you Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah and so you are going along for the ride instead of driving. You know the great thing about not driving is that you get to sit back and see everything happening around you.

    And good for you to get thru a dinner sober when others are not. What rewards occur.

    Happy Friday. Gald you re-wrote. I know that feeling when technology has a will of its own. Blah, the serenity prayer works great during times as such :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jonathan,

    TAG you're it! Here are the rules: Each player of this game starts with the 6 Weird Things About You. People who get tagged need to write a blog entry of their own 6 Weird Things as well as state this rule clearly. Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jonathan,

    Hate to do this to you, bro, but...

    YOU'VE BEEN TAGGED!

    You must now post 6 Weird Things About Yourself.

    Rules are at my blog: http://thisunmanageablelife.com/?p=198

    ReplyDelete