Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Day 107

My wisdom tooth extraction has taken a bit of a toll on me over the last few days. Yesterday I tried to come in to the office, but left after an hour, went home, and slept all day per doctor's orders. The pain was so great...

The pain has gotten a little less, but it's still there today. It's kinda like a constant ache... plus my cheek is still poofed up a bit, but looks like it could be coming down. Work was not so bad today, so I am hopeful that tomorrow my pain will subside even more, and by this weekend hopefully I will be back to normal.

This thing has really thrown a wrench into "my plans". Originally, missing all of my AA meetings, Tang So Do, and work was disconcerting and made me feel like I was letting someone down. Really, the only person I was letting down was myself, by being negative about the pain in my jaw. Today, I am fine with it. I am happy with me as I am, and I am a good person. Sitting at home, nursing my jaw, is not fun, but I can enjoy it by reading, painting, and watching the boob tube. Most importantly, I will not let myself get me down.

Letting go pain... is that possible? Maybe I will try that today and turn one more thing over...

Today I am grateful for:

My job
My home
My cats
My family
My friends
AA
getting my wisdom tooth out

6 comments:

  1. Oh, (((Jonathan)))! So sorry you're not feeling great, but really glad to see you striving to be positive in the midst of it.

    Here is something else to distract you from the pain: Hoshi has been tagged by Boots to come up with 6 Weird Things (about Hoshi, not you).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to let go of pain during childbirth or my brain would have exploded.wisdom teeth..child birth...pain is pain...but I do think once we learn to relax a little more in life while learning to let go etc,physical pain truly does become a little easier to bare..we get tougher as we relax.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it..lol
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. there ARE weird things you can do with pain. you can focus on it as being 'sensation' or 'strong sensation' instead of mentally labelling it 'pain'. you can tune into it and get very interested in the way the 'sensation' feels in your body, and it changes the way pain is experienced. but i woulddn't worry about that right now too much. also i like this thing from the just for today card (al anon) Just for today I will try to live through this day only, and not tackle all my problems at once. I can do something for twelve hours that would appall me if I felt that I had to keep it up for a lifetime.
    anyway, hope you feel better soon! it wont last long hopefully. right im off to do some running in the freezing cold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel since I had my wisdom teeth extracted at age 24. I had them out in the dentist's chair without being put under. You are past the period with the worst pain, so it should be all downhill from here. One thing to be aware of, is to make sure you clean any food particles out of the holes left by the extractions. I ended up with a dry socket because I did not know to do this. The dry socket was painful like a toothache. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yeah! I had that dry socket thingy, too. One word: WaterPik.

    ReplyDelete
  6. another not so fun thing to go thru without drinking... It sucked getting mine pulled... But, I didn't have to drink,I hated it, I dealt with it.. You're doing great with it, just hang in there!

    ReplyDelete