Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A loss...

Many years have passed, but all those memories of days gone by persist in the back of my mind, as if they are images seen through a fine haze. I smile when I think of them... I spent many days and nights at your house. You were as much as a father to me as you were to your own son. In those days of loss of direction, exploration, and youth, I sought refuge day after day. Your house became a second home for me, a place to escape from life's worries, a place where the parents seemed to genuinly care about me, and would level with me, instead of the oh so typical level above... where most parents stay.

Skipping school today? No problem, take a nap on the couch Jonathan. Do you need a blanket? No hockey this morning? How about a round of gulf? I think, the image of countless cigarettes, poker and coca-cola will forever be ingrained in my mind. Let us not forget the good times... all those days and nights. I looked forward to those early morning crossword puzzle sessions at Burger King, drinking coffee and smoking a cigerette... school? Screw that, I will go after lunch. You didn't ask questions...

Chad, Jack, and Jonathan... that was the original crew back then... We were all from seperate families, but were like brothers because of you and the hospitality you provided.

I am sorry I left Indiana. I had to leave for school, and one road lead to a fork which lead to another road... which lead me to where I am today. Where I go from here... we shall see. But knowing how way leads on to way... who knows.

I do miss you. I regret not being able to see you again. The last time I saw you was about 2 years ago. Shortly after your first heart attack and surgery. Like a true American hard-ass, you were smoking a marborol red, just weeks after your near death experience.

I will try my best to live a good life, and to enjoy life as you did, and perhaps one day to do it in style. You were a true man's man. A womenizer, a cigerette smoking, golf playing, american dad.

I won't be there for your funeral this weekend, but will fly up the next week to visit with your wife and son. You will be missed.

Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment