Monday, January 5, 2009

Back from the cruise and read for London

I just got back from the cruise yesterday, and am starting to get back into the usual routine. It is interesting, I think, to go away for a week and come back, leave again... come back again. It kinda puts everything into perspective.

I have gone on three trips so far this winter break, and each is like a little adventure. I come home and appreciate things a little more.

On the cruise, we went down to Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Belize, and Honduras. It was freaking hot down there... I got plenty of sun to get me through the trip to London though. My experience on the cruise ship was a good one. Those ships can get boring after the 4th day if you start missing home. I kinda stayed out of my mind, so I did not suffer to bad from home-sickness. I stayed in the moment and experienced new things.

I went dancing with the family almost every night. I did so well in-fact that I managed to make a few new "facebook" friends who are excited to see some pictures and video of themselves. On new years eve we danced the night away on the Lito deck under the stars until 2 in the morning. The ball dropped and everyone was wasted except for a select few. Even the crew was allowed on deck (I think) and were partying it up with the guests. The shows were great in the evening. Every night I was sure to watch the productions with a new appreciation for this thing called life. The last big cruise ship we went on, I was drunk and pretty much stayed drunk the whole cruise. This time was different... it was real and will be remembered.

We had the whole family on board, so there were a ton of typical family memories and moments. I laid out almost every day and went through an entire bottle of sun tan lotion. In Honduras I gave a local tour guide a twenty dollar tip, the abject poverty in that Country is just crazy... worse I think than Mexico. In Belize we went snorkling... it was fun. I swam with the fishes and then on the boat ride back talked with a man who recently lost his wife to cancer. He was traveling with his daughter and they were basically starting out the new year remembering their loved one.

I met two girls from Baltimore, who were accountants. I met a family from Chicago with a son who was dubbed "Barby Girl" from his performance on stage the first night! I also attended an AA meeting and met a british woman who lived in the Yukon territory. Her husband and her said that they live an hour from Yellowknife and that AA meetings up there are few and far between. Regardless, they are still sober, and once again it is shown that you can get sober anywhere!

Well, today I am studying and working out. Yesterday I got off the boat and had dinner over at my house. Not much time to relax before the next trip, but I shall try. I think tonight I will go to the Monday night meeting over on Bayshore... then maybe a movie up at the Veterans... There are a few I need to watch!

Thats it for now, today I am grateful

Jonathan

1 comment:

  1. Seems like you started the year in a wonderful way ... on an adventure with family and SOBER!!

    ReplyDelete