Monday, November 5, 2007

Working step 8

From Page 79 in the 12 and 12 (Step 8):

"Some of us, though, tripped over a very different snag. We clung to the claim that when drinking we never hurt anybody but ourselves. Our families didn't suffer, because we always paid the bills and seldom drank at home. Our busines asociates didn't suffer, because we were usually on the job. Our reputations hadn't suffered, because we were certain few knew of our drinking. Those who did would sometimes asure us that, after all, a lively bender was only a good man's fault. What real harm, therefore, had we done? No more, surely, than we could easily mend with a few casual apologies."

Earlier on in sobriety, I believed that I had hurt virtually nobody with my drinking... because I felt that I was a functioning alcoholic. I drank alone, and generally showed for work everyday. That is how I justified my reasoning, I was different than you all, I was a good responsible drunk!

Ha ha! How wrong I was! Even today I must watch out for this trap... thinking I didn't hurt too many people or act as bad or whatever... basically justifying a shorter list of persons I have harmed.

Today I am grateful for:

My kitty cats
My home
My AA friends
My family
Life
God
Sobriety

1 comment: