Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Serenity now ;)




You know, I have found that regardless of how busy my life is today, I still find the time to make it to the same number of meetings a week. I think this speaks volumes to how as an Alcoholic, I lacked the basic foundation of a social network, yet today, even when busy, busy, busy; I go do things that are beneficial to my serenity, rather than isolate or wallow in self pity.

It was like society was there, yet I always felt seperate from, and not apart of. Over the last 2 years, I have been essentially resocialized into a group of people that I now identify with. More so, then I identify with my own family in most regards.

It is the common bond of addiction that binds us. Even if you drank one way, or did drugs, or smoked this or that, we all share that same compulsion, that same thought that one drink or drug could fix us... yet only brought pain. So it's like a society within society, which any sociologist would tell you is a very important part of being human. If we do not have society, we are not human, as was shown with kids growing up without human contact. They basically behaved like animals. Perhaps, since we always felt different, we never had those bonds which make us truly human. AA, for me, made me apart of something greater than myself... made me feel apart of rather than lost and hopeless. I am just so grateful for the rooms of alcoholics anonymous.

Anywhooo, feeling rather poetic and reflective today.

Enjoy the light of the day!

Jonathan

Today I am grateful for:

My home
My kitty cats
My mom (detach... detach... detach.... ;)
My brother
My friends
UT
Starbucks
Tampa
Sobriety
My bed
Did I mention you guys?

1 comment:

  1. Well you certainly sound waaaaay up there today.
    I hope the feeling continues, but beware of the pitfalls, wherever they may be lurking.

    ReplyDelete