Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Friends and things

Was reading a book and came across this qoute... I think it is good advice for folks like me with certain character defects:

"If you are miserly by nature, associate with the generous, and they will infect you, opening up everything that is tight and restricted in you. If you are gloomy, gravitate to the cheerful. If you are prone to isolation, force yourself to befriend the gregarious. Never associate with those who share your defects-- they will reinforce everything that holds you back. Only create associations with positive affinities. Make this a rule of life and you will benefit more than from all the therapy in the world."

Now on the "never associate with those who share your defects" part, I am not sure I agree with that statement entirely, but I do see how if I am say... angry all the time, and hang out with my best bud who is also angry all the time, and neither of us want to change, then that is a bad combo... So wait, maybe I do agree with the qoute.

Basically what I like about it and what I should remember, is that if I associate with more people who have positive attitudes and have traits I look up to, then maybe they will rub off on me!

Jonathan

6 comments:

  1. What I interpret in that wonderful quote is reach out to others.

    They just suggest reaching out to positive others. If you are a happy person that doesn't mean they want you to hang with sad people does it? No, of course not. I remember early in sobriety certain people had a glow about them, I wanted that glow and I wanted to know how they got it. So I asked, hung around, bugged them, and it started to rub off on me.

    Awesome post, thank you.

    Love,
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always hear--you spot it you got it.

    I agree with Dave, stick with the winners. And I do believe he is one of 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PUT THE SOUND ON AND ENJOY

    Happy !! New Year!!

    put this in your browser address bar..
    http://www.icq.com/img/friendship/static/card_16961_rs.swf

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. If you hang out with people who share your defects, it exaggerates yours or ends up bringing you down. If you want to change your character, hanging out with those who have the strengths you want only makes sense! That doesn't mean you can't be an encouragement and support to someone who needs it when they're down, but we're drawn to this program by seeing people who have what we want, so yeah, hang with the winners!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what dAAve said.. stick with the winners!

    ReplyDelete