Monday, July 14, 2008

Attachment...

Interesting Buddhist concept.

I was just thinking about how attachment to objects, persons, and things leads to unhappiness. I think there is some correlation between AA and Buddhism. For instance, the whole expectations thing... like in how we expect others to behave. That is, an attachment. If we were not attached to that person in our mind, then we wouldn't have the expectation. So the whole expectation thing and getting rid of them, as it relates to personal relations, is just like the attachment thing in buddhism. You just stop being attached to things. Of course, that is easier said then done. Meditation, physically actually giving your things away, loving compassion towards all, skillful concentration... the list goes on.

I have been trying to practice some of these principles lately, and they really have been a help. Every night before bed I read more and more spiritual literature since my sponsor suggested it.

You know, I just love the concept that our desires are the foundations for attachment and suffering. It's like a catch 22. Deep... I guess the goal is to reach enlightenment... but not sure that will happen for me, although I think I can make some positive steps in that direction.

From... http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/attachment.html"To summarise: our own projections, selfish expectations and exaggerations are the foundations of attachment and the unavoidable disappointment.

We want to get love, rather than give love.
We seek understanding, rather than trying to understand.
We seek self-confidence, rather than respecting others.
We seek praise and encouragement, rather than giving praise and encouragement .
We don't like criticism, but like to criticise others. "

2 comments:

  1. Ah! Enlightenment, a goal. Hey, I believe we never attain that, but only (for me, anyway) short periods of lucidity, awareness, or "one in being". However, those periods can increase in length with practice of our Steps, ALL of them, right?

    Certainly our whole program is one of borrowed stuff from ALL the world's great religions, boiled down so that it is accessible to all. I really enjoyed the read, Tampa Guy. Thanks.
    Steve E. Naples Guy DOS 3-18-74

    ReplyDelete